Hair plumping is a cosmetic technique designed to add volume and thickness to one’s hair, typically achieved through a variety of products and styling methods. This process involves using specialised shampoos, conditioners, and styling products that aim to lift the hair strands at the roots, creating the illusion of fuller and more voluminous hair.
Techniques like backcombing, teasing, and the use of volumising hairbrushes or heated styling tools may be used to enhance the plumping effect. Hair plumping is particularly popular among individuals with fine or thin hair, as it provides an easy and temporary solution to achieve a fuller and more luxurious hair appearance.
Hair plumping products
So where do you find these specialised hair products that help achieve hair plumping? UK hair expert, John Frieda, has just launched a new range called PROFiller+, specifically formulated with bold ingredients that are scientifically proven to instantly strengthen and plump hair by 200 per cent. The thickening shampoo and conditioner are both infused with biotin and hyaluronic acid that hydrates and nourishes fine hair, offering an instant plumping boost in just one use whilst repairing damaged hair.
The vegan-friendly and silicone-free thickening spray is a double-duty styling spray that provides heat protection and reduces hair loss due to breakage.
The John Frieda PROFiller+ range is available at Chemist Warehouse, Priceline Pharmacy and Woolworths for RRP $20.99 per product.
Here are six tips to help you achieve successful hair plumping:
- Choose the Right Shampoo and Conditioner: Opt for volumizing shampoos and conditioners specifically designed to add thickness and lift to your hair. Look for products that are sulfate-free and contain ingredients like biotin, keratin, or collagen, which can help strengthen and plump individual hair strands.
- Blow-Dry Upside Down: When blow-drying your hair, flip your head upside down. This technique can create instant volume at the roots as the warm air lifts the hair follicles away from the scalp. Use a round brush while blow-drying to add even more lift.
- Use Root-Lifting Products: Apply root-lifting products, such as volumising mousse or spray, to your hair’s roots before styling. These products help lift the hair at the root, giving it a fuller appearance. Focus on the crown area for extra lift.
- Avoid Heavy Hair Products: Heavy styling products like waxes and gels can weigh down your hair, making it look flat and lifeless. Instead, opt for lightweight, volumising products that won’t compromise the volume you’ve created.
- Teasing and Backcombing: Backcombing or teasing your hair at the roots can instantly plump it up. Gently tease small sections of hair at the crown, working your way from the back to the front. Remember to use a fine-toothed comb and be gentle to avoid damaging your hair.
- Consider using a wide-toothed comb to detangle your hair instead of a brush, as brushes can flatten your hair. Finally, a regular trim can also help maintain the appearance of thicker, healthier hair by eliminating split ends and preventing breakage.