Me-Gal restaurant, located at Taronga Zoo’s Wildlife Retreat will open to the public for the first time on Thursday 30 March 2023.
Located in a harbourside enclave on Sydney’s Lower North Shore, with sweeping views of Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Opera House, and the city skyline, Me-Gal offers a dining experience that promises to be popular with Sydney locals.
Set in a natural, native bushland setting, Me-Gal, is a dining and lifestyle destination, with an elegant dining room, boasting floor-to-ceiling windows and some of the best harbour views, the North Shore dining scene has to offer.
Me-Gal is named after the Cammeraigal word for ‘tears’ and evokes the salt water of the surrounding harbourside shoreline. The focus is on serving fresh, sustainably sourced produce with a seasonally changing menu of dishes. Me-Gal is the epitome of communal dining with dishes that are designed for sharing.
Operated by leading hospitality group, Trippas White, Me-Gal is led by Executive Chef Stefan Schröder who has designed a menu, using native ingredients and sustainable produce sourced from local farmers and producers. The menu features medium and larger plates, along with a seasonal feast ($120pp) for larger groups. Highlights include:
- Stuffed zucchini flowers, wattle seed ricotta, macadamia crumble, butternut squash purée
- Artisan hand-knotted burrata, grapes, granny smith apple, lemon myrtle, focaccia crisps
- Split Skull Island tiger prawns, char-grilled, lime labneh, coriander, pickled Spanish onion
- 12-hour slow-roasted Flinders Island lamb shoulder, heirloom carrots, lime and mint
- Sauteed Hawkesbury calamari, kipfler potatoes, nduja, wild rocket
- Valrhona caramelia chocolate Verrine, oabika gel, vanilla compressed apple
- Lemon myrtle pear tart, cream Chantilly
Group Sommelier, Louella Mathews has created the wine program with a heavy focus on Australian producers. As well as showcasing vegan, organic, biodynamic, and sustainable wines, there is also The Australian Icon list including Henschke, Penfolds, Yabby Lake, Grosset, Leeuwin Estate and Oakridge. Most wines are also offered by the glass, using the latest in Coravin technology. The cocktail list follows the Australian theme featuring native and botanical ingredients and local spirits.
Me-Gal is open for dinner Monday to Sunday and for lunch Thursday to Sunday from midday until late.
Where: 2A Bradleys Head Road, Mosman. Enter via the Taronga Wildlife Retreat. Parking is available at Taronga Zoo’s multi-story carpark. Find out more here.