If you love couture and corsets – at bargain prices, no less – you’re in luck as the Opera Australia costume clearance has been announced! The Opera Centre in Surry Hills will open its doors over two days in mid-April for a costume clearance sale. Stock from retired productions will be available for purchase with prices starting at a jaw-droppingly low 50 cents. Dressing up has never been so much fun!
In an effort to make room to store new creations, more than 2000 pieces, crafted with hundreds of thousands of hours of hand stitching and painstaking attention to detail, will be on offer.
“Our last two clearance sales have been remarkedly popular, selling out on both occasions. This is another fantastic opportunity for fans to become the proud owners of specific, incredible costumes and accessories that have had a life on the stages of the Arts Centre Melbourne, the Sydney Opera House and other venues around the country,” says Opera Australia’s Wigs and Wardrobe Manager, Rebecca Ritchie.
Items will be offered from OA’s retired productions including Boris Godunov, Carmen, Don Carlos, Iolanthe, Orpheus in the Underworld, and The Pearl Fishers among many more.
The Opera Australia costume clearance sale is a free event and entry will be permitted on a first-in, best-dressed basis until the venue reaches capacity.
- When: Friday 14 April, 10:00am – 4:00pm + Saturday 15 April, 9:00am to 4:00pm
- Where: The Opera Centre, Level 2, Paint Dock (entry at the rear of the building, via Clisdell St) 480 Elizabeth St, Surry Hills, NSW 2010. Limited street parking is available.
- Covid-19 Safety Measures: Visitors are advised not to attend if unwell.
- No dressing rooms will be available to try on items.
- EFTPOS and credit card facilities available, no cash.
- Customers must bring their own bags.