Cast iron cookware is renowned for its exceptional cooking capabilities and has been favoured by chefs and home cooks for generations. But it’s also the environmental and health benefits that make cast iron cookware so attractive. Made to last for generations, quality cast iron cookware by Ironclad Co. (made in Australia and New Zealand) is revered by professional chefs and home cooks for a number of reasons.
Let’s take a closer look at the benefits of cast iron cookware and why Ironclad Co. cast iron cookware is a brand worth considering.
- Excellent Heat Retention: Cast iron is known for its superior heat retention properties. It heats up slowly and evenly, distributing heat consistently across the cooking surface. This even heat distribution helps in cooking food uniformly and preventing hot spots.
- Environmental Benefits: Cast iron is a sustainable option, as it doesn’t wear out quickly and doesn’t need to be replaced often, reducing the amount of cookware waste in landfills. Ironclad Co. products are either hand-poured to order or handmade locally using only the highest grade of recycled iron.
- Versatility: Ironclad Co. cast iron cookware can be used on various heat sources, including induction, gas, electric, ceramic, BBQ, oven and campfire. This versatility makes them suitable for a wide range of cooking techniques, such as frying, sautéing, roasting, baking, and making dishes such as deep-dish pizza.
- Non-Stick Properties: Over time, with proper seasoning and use, cast iron develops a natural non-stick surface. The seasoning involves the application of oil or fat and heating the pan to create a polymerised layer that prevents food from sticking. This makes it an excellent choice for frying without excessive oil or butter. Ironclad Co. only uses high-grade recycled iron, so there are no nasty chemicals used to produce its cookware. Pans with non-stick coatings, on the other hand, may contain PFAS (forever chemicals), so this one really is a no-brainer.
- Durability: Cast iron cookware is incredibly durable and can last for generations if well-maintained. It is resistant to chipping, cracking, and warping, unlike many other materials. This longevity makes it a cost-effective choice in the long run.
- Natural Flavour Enhancement: Cast iron has the ability to impart a subtle smoky or earthy flavour to dishes over time. This can enhance the taste of certain foods like meats and vegetables, making them even more delicious.
- Easy to Clean: Contrary to what some people believe, cast iron cookware is relatively easy to clean. While it’s not recommended to use soap, you can use a scrubbing brush or spatula to remove stubborn food. Rinse with hot water, and thoroughly dry the pan before applying a teaspoon of your favourite oil or conditioning balm to the entire surface of the pan with a dry cloth or paper towel.
- Adds Character: Many people appreciate the rustic and classic appearance of cast iron cookware. It can be a decorative addition to your kitchen and even be used as a serving dish for meals straight from the oven or stove. Ironclad Co. cookware comes with its attractive trademark ‘Three Generation Guarantee’ cast into the base. For a little extra, you can pay to have the Heirloom skillet personalised.
- Cost-Effective: While the initial investment may be higher than some other types of cookware, the long-term durability and performance of cast iron make it a cost-effective choice over time.
Ironclad Co. offers the longest guarantee for its products on the planet. Yes, it’s true! Check out the full details of the 100-year guarantee (or three generations) from the date of purchase here.
After testing the Ironclad Co. Legacy Pan on a number of recipes, we can recommend its cookware without hesitation. Made locally and sustainably with recycled, high-quality iron without the awful chemicals used in cheaper pans that only end up in landfill after 12 to 18 months – what’s not to love? Take a look at the full range here.
After testing the Ironclad Co. Legacy Pan on a number of recipes, we can recommend its cookware without hesitation. Made locally and sustainably with recycled, high-quality iron without the awful chemicals used in cheaper pans that only end up in landfill after 12 to 18 months – what’s not to love?
Take a look at the full range here.